Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Kero One Interview

{for all music related posts, see .Evolving.Music}

When it comes to DIY, it doesn't get much more do-it-yourself than Bay Area born and bred Kero One. When he dropped his first album, Windmills of the Soul in 2005, he made it completely at home, charged up his credit card, released it on a self-made label, Plug, and became a hit when one of his original 50 copies found its way to Japan. Earlier this year, Kero One released his sophomore album, Early Believers, and I sat down to chat with him about his upbringing, musical history and thoughts on the evolution of the music industry.

AC: So you talk on Early Believers about your parents moving to the Bay Area. Where did they move from and was it a big culture shock for them?

KO: Well they came from Korea originally; and then they came here when I was...zero. Probably in 1978 or so. From what I understand, it's a little bit different, of course, but you know, they adjusted. What I talk about on “Welcome to the Bay,” it's just some of the experiences that I witnessed when we were in the South Bay growing up. I talked a little bit about that and also, I guess just a little bit about their adjustment in terms of, they're used to a whole different lifestyle and obviously like different types of food and things like that. But, yeah, I mean, it was different, but of course they adjusted. And then we grew up in the south bay, and you know, I've obviously lived there for pretty much all my life.

AC: Whereabouts down there, San Jose?
KO: San Jose, Los Gatos, Santa Clara
AC: So how has your family played a role in the music that you've created?

KO: Well I'd say they made me take classical piano when I was really young, so, in the sense of being forced to take piano lessons, that was a pretty big role because, even though I hated it back then, I'm pretty thankful for it because I use it a lot in my music now. And other than that, not that much because really, they didn't push me to do music; I mean, they're kinda traditional Asian parents in the sense that they wanted the more, “education thing is a big deal,” and going to a good college and getting what they understand is a good job, whether it's an engineer or doctor or something like that. So, they were really pushing for that, and, you know, honestly, when I told them I was rapping, I mean you can guess what their reaction was. Which is understandable, I guess, but now they're fully supportive.

AC: You talked about learning classical piano. That was maybe the first of many instruments you learned; did you go on to learn any others, or was that the only formal training that you had?
KO: Yeah, that's the only one I had formal training in, and I did that for 10 years almost. Technically it was probably like five years because the other five, I was kind of not really there. I hated classical music, but, when I was in middle school, I was really into punk, and I got into Primus and a little bit of rock like Red Hot Chili Peppers, and we all know, Flea and Les Claypool, ridiculous bassists. That inspired me to pick up the bass, and I started messing with the bass a little bit. So, other than that, it's just bass, piano and I play a little bit of percussion; so those are my three things right now.

AC: Do you spin?
KO: Yeah, and I DJ as well. I got into scratching quite a bit when I was in college, so I was into the whole turntables thing, try to beat juggle, flares. I DJ out mostly in the city, one off events and sometimes I go out and DJ internationally, but, yeah, right now I'm just trying to focus on the live stuff.

AC: Do you play your instruments live in concerts?
KO: Well, actually for the last show, what we did was I incorporated a little bit of live keyboard and a little bit of live drumming, but something that I've always wanted to do was play some instruments and rap at the same time 'cause I've never seen anybody really do that. I've seen people sing, but not really rap, so that's what I'm gonna be doing on my new show; just a little bit of that, and incorporate, I got a guitarist, I got a singer, and so we're definitely bringing in like the live element to the live show, 'cause a lot of the stuff on my album is actually played out, it's not samples, so it seems pretty natural to have live instruments.

AC: Out of all those instruments that you're playing, which one are you enjoying playing the most?
KO: I'd say probably the keys. I'm not stellar player in any of the instruments, but when I do play the keys, it's definitely fun when you can come up with a nice chord progression or some good solos, I’d say the keyboard.

AC: So you were talking about Primus, Red Hot Chili Peppers; what are some of your other musical influences and what are you listening to now?
KO: Man, I pretty much am influenced by everything from Mobb Deep in the early 90's to John Mayer to Daft Punk, I listen to it all. Probably the only thing I don't really get influenced by is country -- I mean everybody says that, right -- country or like folk, or something, or obviously classical music. But yeah, I listen to pretty much everything; like I grew up listening to really being into the early 90's hip hop stuff, classic stuff.

AC: What was the first rap album you really got into?

For the rest of this interview, click here.

No comments: