Sunday, February 11, 2007

Transfers (Friday Night)

Sunday, February 11, 2007

Transfers (Friday Night)
Current mood: chipper

So Alan pointed out to me this weekend that I should now refer to beirut followed by pre-party at City Tavern as "Default." I thought the idea was stellar.

Friday, I play a few games of beirut before Jullan, Cella, Sonya, Sean, Eric Boyle from UCLA and myself head out to Ace Wasabi's for dinner. We don't even get there until around 10, but we get seated right away. Sets of sake ensue. The food comes and for some reason the smell just doesn't sit right with me. I go outside to smoke. As I'm back inside, waiting for the bathroom, a waitress walks by and says, "Is someone smoking pot in the bathroom?!?!" She's very concerned, but I give her the very firm, "no," and she looks at me with a suspicious grin and asks, "were you smoking it outside?"

This happens to be Cella's favorite part of the evening. From there we head to City Tavern where Julian has created a new drink. He calls it the Wizard's Sleeve, although it's pointed out to him that that's actually a slang word for a vagina, so he changes it to a Merlin. Merlins consist of Rumpleminze (yea, see my fabulous description of that in a previous post where I almost would have rather drank vomit), butterscotch schnapps and something else. The resulting drink tastes a lot like a thin mint that you could destroy yourself with. It almost puts me down for good.

I get the call to bounce and head to North Beach to pick up Tyler who's with Matt and Amara. From there, we cruise to Cat Club, only to find out that there's a cover that neither Matt nor Amara want to pay. I'm down for whatever at that point, but they don't want to so we head to another bar. I miss the name of it. When Matt and Amara cut out on us, Tyler tells me that there's two girls he knows at another bar, and we should head over there. Two girls sounds great, so we go.

We walk in, and I don't see any girls. Like, literally, I don't see ANY. As I start looking around, I realize that not only is it short on girls, but most of the guys are locked into some type of embrace. This is when it hits me that Tyler has taken me to Transfer, a gay bar on 14th and Church. Now, this is exciting for me...I obviously have to give up any ambitions I had of meeting someone for the evening, but it does get to be chalked up as my first time in a gay bar, and I'm all about the new experiences, so that works out fine. And the girls Tyler had us come out for are very cute.

And very tricky. They ask me what I do in a polite and curious way. I tell them, filling them in on details when they ask. I politely return the question to get, "guess." Now, my mom didn't raise an idiot. I might have dull moments, but I'm not an idiot, and the "guess" is like a woman asking, "how old do you think I look?" there are no winners here. So I go with the safety response, students, to get a "that's right, but what kind of students?" I guess art, and I'm right again. Turns out they're metal workers. Interesting. I had guessed sculptor and digital media.

We're there so Tyler can see this girl Monster. Literally, they call her Monster. I don't know why, but I'm also fairly certain that I don't want to find out. And I won't get to. The lights come up, 2 am is upon us, and they start moving people out of the bar. I start wandering along and Tyler grabs my arm and goes, no no, stay. Turns out, one of the bartenders is celebrating his last evening, and as soon as the last of the regular patrons are out, they lock the door and keep serving drinks. I've never been in a full bar past 2 before, as I was pretty sure it was illegal, so drinking free drinks in there until 3:30 is a novel idea.

About that time, it's time to go. Miraculously, after I leave the bar, I end up exactly where I wanted to be. Where's that, you might ask. Well friend, that's for another story.

No comments: