Monday, September 8, 2008

The Great American Transfer




Who needs 1 activity when you can have 5? Some want to live the American Dream. Myself? I'll be happy with a never ending Great American Transfer that keeps me jumping from one place to the next until the day I fall over dead. Morbid? I don't think so. Just pure, unashamed and unrestrained living. I decide to stay in Friday night in order to get a good night's sleep. Of course, as it always happens, one thing turns into another and I get to bed about 1:30. That wouldn't be too late, if it weren't for the fact that I was waking up Saturday at 4:30 in order to be at the high school to drive the XC team down to Salinas for a meet.

I'm at the meet from 8:30 to 1:30. It's hot, includes lots of running to different parts of the course, and going on the sleep I've gotten, it's a bit tiring. After that, we take the 25 of them to Great America where we let them frolic and play under their own supervision while the coaches eat, discuss ways to get the freshmen to work a little harder and play video games. (For anyone that hasn't seen a 40-something Religion teacher from Guam play House of the Dead and a Snowboarding video game, I recommend it for its pure comedic value alone.)

The park closes at 8 and we drop the girls off at school at about 9:30. I've been up for 17 hours at this point. The traditional wisdom would include going home and going to sleep. But I get word that Bini and Marg are out and about in the Castro and it sounds like something I need to get done, so I go home, pound two drinks, shower, change and get back on the road to the city. I get parked around 11 and meet them as they're coming out of The Bar. I can tell that coming up was the right decision as Marg is above and beyond any level of drunk I've seen her at previously, and Bini is halfway between solid babysitter and two steps down the same path. They want to go to Badlands which Marg has never seen, but the line is huge and the idea is nixed as depressing and too time consuming. We go to Harvey's instead.

At Harvey's, the drinks are strong. Despite being plastered, the look on Marg's face when she drinks is not a pretty one. I'm fairly certain that she'll give up her drink and switch to water given that face, but instead she pulls a glass jar out of her purse and starts sipping the straight vodka in it. I'm confused by how this makes any sense, but somehow, it makes sense to her. We get word that Nah is coming to join us and we wait outside until she shows up.

At this point, Marg wants to go down to the Mint, so we walk in that direction. But on the way, the music coming out of The Transfer sounds good and we make an executive decision (after Marg tells us that she doesn't care) to go there and dance instead of going to karaoke. Inside, the dance floor is packed and the place is sweltering. I usually work up a sweat when I dance, but by the time the clock starts ticking towards 2, I feel like I went swimming in my clothes. But it's not that nasty gross all day in the sun type sweat, it's that really good feeling I just danced my ass off type sweat. Totally acceptable! Marg dances for about an hour with her eyes closed, and Sunday morning she needs to ask me if I went to the Transfer to dance with them because everything after Harvey's is a bit of a blur. Well done!

I get home around 3:30, about 23 hours after I left, and go to sleep so I can be ready for my open house on Sunday. After the open house, instead of going home and collapsing, I change, grab a beverage and head back to the car for a drive to Berkeley for Dave Matthews Band's final show of the tour on LeRoi Moore's birthday. Somehow, I manage to hit traffic that includes the Giants game, the 49ers game and the concert, which is like the Bay Area perfect storm of traffic. I'll have a review up of the show later on, but that's my review of the weekend....fantastic and without a minute to spare.

Upcoming: DMB show review, MMM launches at Demo and Giants games galore.

1 comment:

missmargaret said...

thanks buddy! for everything- next time i'll dance with my eyes open ;)...or at least try to...