Monday, September 15, 2008

Local Mischief, Big Games and a Marina Bday

For the first and only weekend of the month I didn't have a meet to coach on Saturday, which left Friday night as an evening to get thrashed. Hessica and I decide that in order to forgo any trip to the city or need for a driver and do it at home. We start by dusting off the Beirut table and playing with rokes. We're only two or three games deep before Hessica excuses herself to get ready to go.

I myself get ready to go and then wait. And wait. And wait...I find Hessica sitting on the floor of her bathroom staring into space. It takes quiet a bit of convincing to get her off the floor and into a position to go out, but as is usual for this one, she's a trooper and comes through. We check out the local trouble at O'Neill's and another spot on 3rd. But we do a flip-flop as she switches to water once we get there and I keep on with the rokes, until all of a sudden, she's coherent and I feel like I need to stumble home.

Saturday, after watching Notre Dame take a win over Michigan and SC kick the living shit out of the imposter of a top 5 team Ohio State Buckeyes, it's up to the city for Topher's birthday celebration. Before I get into the evening, let me take a moment here to reiterate what I said to everyone I talked to before that football game...Ohio State was going to get their ass kicked. I said all week that OSU wasn't strong enough, wasn't fast enough, and was simply overrated. I've been waiting three years to see this annual frontrunner play SC, and the result was exactly what I thought it'd be...People better think twice about voting OSU to the top 5 at the beginning of next season after this nationally televised Pac-10 beat down. It looked like it was going to be a game for about the first 10 minutes...Big niiiiice goes to the Niners who pulled out a tough road win despite handing the game to Seattle for the first three quarters. Other sports kudos for the weekend go to Tim Lincecum on his first career complete game victory...138 pitches.

The Vallejo fellas too are on a retro kick as I walk in and find Ian, ChengJ, Topher and Rich playing not Wii, but Beirut. The longer 10 cup table is out and we get in several games, including a big win by Gies and I before we leave. We head to City where we lose Gies because he's already shit-housed and after a drink, I pack my second one in a to-go cup for a walk over to Monaghans. Hadn't been to this place before, and it was ok...a bit too far out of the larger circle of bars for my taste, but it's convenient in that it's off the main drag and allows for more ease of sidewalk j indulgence than the cop-ridden triangle.

We see Wheel out at Monaghans, but other than that, it's pretty quiet and we get out of there to end the night elsewhere...Marina pizza, for one...

No comments: