Monday, November 24, 2008

Lookout Below!




Friday night, still riding high from my interview the night before with Opio and Tajai, I pack off to the city and meet up with Topher, Marc and Jang to pre-party in the Marina. After a few drinks and rounds of Liar's Dice, we give Maurod a call and he picks us up and takes us to WW's, where she's celebrating her birthday (and I think she's younger than us, so it was a young birthday).

When we get there, the apartment is sweltering, on account of its size and the number of people in it. I'm pleasantly surprised to see not one but two of my old friends married (although one of them has stashed her husband at home for the evening so I don't get to meet him.) WW has got a new boyfriend, and he shows us all how devastatingly cool he is by breaking open the Jose Cuervo and passing it around after chugging straight from the bottle. Yum.

Marc and Topher are ready quick and call Maurod for the quick turnaround. We get out to the curb and Marc has already started trying to make a power play for Maurod's services, despite the fact that I was nice enough to set them up to begin with. When we get curbside, there's three of them heading back to the Marina, and me, heading elsewhere, so I send them off and take to ground.

I walk from Geary and Larkin to Castro and Market, which really doesn't take too long at the pace I'm moving. When I get there, Marge is outside the Bar, and we end up waiting there for 10-15 minutes while Bini, Nah and Za finish their drinks so we can avoid paying the $5 cover. When we're all assembled in the street, the cold and the walk from downtown have me halfway back to sober so we agree to find the first bar with dancing and get down. It is close to 12 at this point, so we've gotten a late start on our 11pm dancing start time.

The first place we come to is the Lookout which boasts a balcony overlooking Market Street, which is incidentally perfect for smoking. Aside from that, there's much dancing going on, and at some point I get handed one of the shots someone is carrying around on trays. Whatever sobriety I had gained from the walk and the dancing was now gone. After the bar shuts down, we're out in the street and Za and I decide we're going to take a walk back to her place. We get a burrito on the way (tell me what about "Nothing but steak, sour cream and cilantro" translates to "steak, beans, rice, tomatoes, and everything else you can fit in there"?) I manage to eat only half of it before getting back to her place and passing out on the couch, full of disgusting rice, but not, of course, before we succeed in waking up McButter...

No comments: