Friday, April 24, 2009

10 Things to Think About on a Friday

Heading into the last week of April, it was a relaxed 4/20 (although I heard that the Skylark was absolutely bananas) and a relatively low key week where I focused on some important administrative duties like looking for a new line of work, renewed my D.RE license and registered for the CSET in May. All slightly less than fun stuff, but if it gets me where I need to go, right? But heading into this last weekend, with no open house, it should be a good one. Definitely two days of Nini's. And as for you? How about 10 things to mull over in your mind before 5pm rolls around?

1) Seinfeld is coming back! Well, kinda. As per earlier reports, filming has now started on the new season of Curb Your Enthusiasm on HBO, and the multi-episode arc features the entire cast of Seinfeld as themselves. Hilarity is sure to ensue.

2) 4/20, while being a day of glee and happiness for many, is actually a sad reminder for anyone closely tied to the Columbine killings. What I found interesting was this article that discussed the myths surrounding Columbine and how many of those myths have never been debunked in the public's mind. For instance, did you know that neither of the killers were actually a part of the Trench Coat Mafia? For those that would like some less serious 4/20 thoughts, if you missed Stewie and Brian and their musical duet "Everything's Better With a Bag of Weed," check it out.

3) I was just coming to grips with the suicide of David Foster Wallace, the unreal author of Infinite Jest. Sad then to have to now mourn another fantastic author, J.G. Ballard, who died this week. While many of you may not have read any of Ballard's work, my guess is you've watched it...he's responsible for Crash (the Spader/Hunter one about sex and car crashes) and Steven Spielberg's Empire of the Sun (also the movie that launched Christian Bale's acting career.)

4) I couldn't wait any longer than I had, so last night I watched Amélie again. I'm simply floored, every time I see it, by the beauty and wonder in the film. It makes me laugh, smile and cry all at the same time, and just hearing the soundtrack on my iPod makes me want to watch it all over again. I was looking for a reason to write about it, and Audrey Tatou provided that today. Apparently, there's quite a bit of uproar over the movie poster for her most recent release, a biopic of Coco Chanel. Apparently, Chanel was a 50+ cigarette/day person. The poster had Tatou smoking a cigarette and was banned by the major metro ad company. They then replaced it with this much weaker poster. I thought the French liked to smoke?
Link
5) According to this recent British study, Beer Goggles don't exist. That's not what I see happening around 1:45 in the bars when everyone starts pairing off and then slowly backing away when the house lights come up...

6) Here's a genius plot, and yet one more reason why I have always wanted an identical twin...these two get out of every parking ticket because they claim, "I wasn't driving the car, HE was!"

7) I heard once that "the only second chance you get in life is the chance to make the same mistake twice." Not so for these two high school football teams. After leaving the field in 1993 with a 7-7 tie, Gatorade and a bunch of others have geared up to replay the match with the same players on the same field to get a clearcut winner. Guess they won't be making the same tie mistake twice.

8) An interesting look at what CNN considers to be a gradual opening in the door of acceptance for women to date other women. But if it's becoming so socially acceptable and mainstream, why is the mainstream still fighting equal rights for marriage equality? Seems like people want their homosexuality racy, but not legally justified. Shame on them. But, whether homo or hetero sexual, here's an interesting piece on the perceptions, myths and potential truths of redheads (including that they're likely to have more sex per week than blonds or brunettes...)

9) After completing the regular season with the best record, the San Jose Sharks are one game away from completely flopping out of the play-offs to an 8 seed. They got together and thought they'd try to be the New England Patriots of the NHL. How about playing with some fire guys? If they can outfit President Obama's Blackberry with super special NSA encryption technology, you can find a way to win 2 more games to tie the series.

10) I've wondered why I can stay up late, get little sleep and still keep moving. Looks like it has something to do with being a night owl and having a good circadian rhythm. Bam!

That's it folks...remember the Golden Rule...he who has the Gold, makes the rules.

No comments: