Wednesday, July 29, 2009

10 Things to Think About on a Friday

Perfect storm of a Friday...iPod update, July movie list and 10 Things all at the same time.  Not sure I'll make it to all of them, but figured I'd start with the one that will keep  y'all from doing something stupid at work, like urinating in the water cooler or putting fire ants in your boss's office.  Let's keep it classy and reflect on the things that were important to us this week.

1) When it comes to the question of race, we have a country divided along racial, ethnic, gender, sexuality, economic and religious lines. This leaves us with gaps of understanding as to what we should and should not talk about.  Within the Matrix of Domination, we still have a lot to understand.

2)  Lot of brew-ha-ha over Michael Phelps and what swimsuit he's going to take into the water for the Worlds this weekend.  I loved this swimmer's comments about buying a suit for Phelps if necessary.  Like he needs your money.  He smokes pot and still gets endorsements, I couldn't even remember your name to put it in here, swimmer.

3)  Time to start getting excited.  It was announced months ago that the upcoming season of Curb Your Enthusiasm would have the Seinfeld cast guest starring.  Turns out that it's actually being done in the format of them making a Seinfeld reunion show.  Brilliantly excellent.

4)  Speaking of HBO, True Blood, Hung, and Entourage have all been picked up for another season.  Don't forget Eastbound and Down, which will also return.  HBO seems to have gotten over the doldrums that almost dragged them down with John From Cincinnati.

5)  I watched The Accused last night.  For any of you that haven't seen it, Jodie Foster plays an under-educated borderline white trash woman who is gang raped by three men in a bar.  It brought to mind this question...why are we so willing to have a death penalty, but we're not willing to castrate sex offenders?

6)  What'd y'all think of the Beer Summit up at the White House?  I'm a little curious why the common citizens were smart enough to go with two of my favorite beers, Red Stripe and Blue Moon, and the leader of the free world went with a beer I deem only barely worthy of filling my Beirut glasses.  Has Obama just not tried good beer, and which beer would you ask for if you were invited to booze on the White House Lawn?  I woulda told that man to get me a Mickey's.

7)  This weekend, we must say good-bye to the -amie section of Damie.  What does this mean exactly?  Well, we'll go back to calling him D, we're sure to see more of him out at the bars, and we'll have no one to throw candy at when she's passed out on the couch.  I can only hope that her nickname, "Pass Out ____" makes it to the east coast.  A fond farewell goes out to her on her journey.

8)  As in tomorrow is August, 8/1.  Is it just me, or did this year friggin' fly?

9)  Yesterday, the coach for the University of Hawaii stepped out of bounds and used a homosexual slur to describe Notre Dame's football team.  I'm not sure when people will get it, but using derogatory labels, especially ones that only further subjugate minority groups of any stripe, is uncalled for, wrong and stupid.  Where did these people learn to talk?

10)  Finally, here's a list of 5 folks that you should get on Twitter just to follow...
a) @bakemyfish: "Facebook is the junkie standing on the street corner, nodding out. Twitter is the punk kid stealing his smack and works out of his pocket."
b) @aimee_b_loved: "If I go to work tomorrow hungover I'm blaming peer pressure.
c) @carrmah: "Officer, we can either quarrel over this speeding ticket now or we can resolve this over a few beers with the President of the United States."
d) @jane_bot: "In bed, thought there was an earthquake. Quickly realized it was only my 1-night stand having a seizure. Some men are so "it's all about me."
e) @xrayedman: "My wife asked me to explain my mess. I said All things in the universe attempt to find the lowest energy state.  She did not seem satisfied."

That's it folks.  -Amie's going away party tonight, Foster's tomorrow, be good and remember to floss everyday.

No comments: