Monday, March 26, 2007

Welcome Back, Long Islands!




That's right. Saturday night marked the triumphant return of the Long Island Iced Tea to my diet. For many a moon, the Long Island was my staple drink. Three in one night would set me up quite well for some mayhem. But then, upon going to City Tavern where one of the bartenders ridiculed me for ordering them, and my so called friends, if they can so be called, berated me for my drink of choice (like they're the ones that have to drink it!), I switched to the now usual Red Bull vodka.

Well, out on Saturday night for Christina's birthday at Andalu, and starting without any sort of pre-party, and not surrounded by anyone who thought it worthwhile to ridicule my drink choice, I went straight for the Island of Long. And boy, did it work.

The night started, as I just said, at Andalu where we were celebrating Christina's 22nd birthday. If you don't know who she is or what she looks like, see the charming picture of her in the "Happy Birthday Christina!" post. Andalu is a place I haven't been before, and still couldn't tell you what the food is like because I pulled my occasional drinking through dinner routine. But it's a tapas place with a cool vibe. The crew for the evening was T, Aliza, Wendy, Brigid, Molly and myself. Zena was supposed to come, but apparently blacked out before 8pm.

After that, we stopped at Casanova. But it was empty. We left immediately.

On to the Elbo room at that point. A red bull vodka there is the equivalent of a pint of beer in size. It nearly decapitates me. I step outside. Air is good. These are literally the clips of moments I remember. We get in a cab (which feels a bit rushed) and end up at Fluid. I find out later that this is the point where we lost T. Surprisingly, Mike and Julian are already in line with Sonya. They tell us good luck, because they've been told that they're going to be the last people in line let in.

At this point, Christina goes to the bouncer with the entirety of our group, as I hang back in line. She explains to them that it's her birthday, he cards us and lets us in (I've snuck back up to the front at this point).

First time in Fluid. Pretty cool looking bar inside, good energy in the music, and that's about it. Well, that's about what I can tell you. I'd say something about the crowd, but I've decided for the moment to pass on social commentary. I don't know why. I guess I don't have much good to say, other than surprisingly running into a guy that I knew from Green Cross and the excellent company and energy of the group.

Thankfully, I had Sunday off, relaxed and threw a frisbee around, had an excellent omelet for breakfast and watched basketball.

Can you smell the grass of the ballpark yet?

No comments: