Saturday, March 24, 2007

Yea, USC Lost. So What?

For those that know me well, they can tell you that I invest quite a bit of emotion and passion into the sports teams that I cheer for. This includes, but is not limited to: USC, Notre Dame, 49ers, Giants. Last night, the improbably run of USC came to an end against North Carolina. Truthfully, I was surprised that they made it that far...I thought Texas was sure to take them out.

Now, normally, this would send me into a funk for three days, with the only salvation in sight being the possible loss by UCLA to Kansas. But I couldn't get the smile off my face.....

The frosh/soph track team I coach won the Trojan Relay Invitational (no relation to USC). Not just won a few races, but won the entire Frosh/Soph Girls division. I can't ever remember being less upset about a team loss, and realized it was because all this time, I've been a spectator and a fan of other teams...this frosh/soph team is actually my team. Not a team I cheer for because of some city or school affiliation, but a team I'm helping to build.

Let me tell you how we did it. It was a mixture of depth, speed, and a few surprise performances.

My 4x1 mile team came through with a third place finish, with all four running under 6:30. My 4x800 team came in with all four running under 2:53 to win the race. Our hurdler completed an entire race three stepping for the first time. The jumpers and throwers stepped in with some crucial points in their events, and then, in one of the more excellent moments of the night, a Devil Takes the Hindmost Mile, my milers took 2nd and 3rd in the race.

It was done with over 15 PRs, and several more Season records. It was done with smiles, amazing performances, and energy.

Now who could care about 10 guys I've never met losing to North Carolina after a night like that?

That's euphoria.

No comments: