Tuesday, July 31, 2007

July's Film Jubilee (21)


July has been a plentiful month of movies. Other schedules slowed down, the Giants were on the road, and a long weekend at the lake house all helped for a cinematic month. I've seen some golden oldies, a few new classics and only two and a half duds (the half is for Better Than Chocolate. It was pretty good when I finished it, but the next day I wasn't as excited about it. To clarify, it wasn't a dud, it just didn't meet the expectations I held going in). Good German was such a disappointment. With Soderbergh and the cast that movie had, you'd expect more...Children of Heaven was the first Iranian movie I've been able to come up with. Other names would be appreciated. It was touching story about two children who must find a way to share shoes while attending different schools and attempting to replace the pair that was lost. I was able to show the Roomie all of the Die Hard movies, saw the original Rocky for the first time, and saw In the Bedroom and Little Children which were both phenomenal. I wouldn't recommend seeing Last Days...longest 90 minute movie I've ever seen in my life. At the end of this "inspired by" the last days of Kurt Cobain's life, you'll wish you had a shotgun of your own. To shoot the TV.

1: Better Than Chocolate
2: Die Hard
3: Live Free or Die Hard
7: Layer Cake
10: 5x2
11: The Good German <---This movie moved along like a horse in a rocking chair.
12: Volver
13: Fast Food Nation
14: Last Days
15: Children of Heaven
17: In the Bedroom
19: Die Hard 2, Die Hard with a Vengence
21: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
22: Rocky Balboa
24: The Island, Little Children
28: Blue Velvet
29: Rocky
30: Pan's Labyrinth
31: The Beat That My Heart Skipped

Just finished watching the Beat That My Heart Skipped...a few parts tortured musician and wrong professions, a little of Crime and Punishment. If you like pianos, scum bag real estate developers, tales of personal quests and opportunities for redemption, I'd say you should try watching it.

No comments: