Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Christmas Music Sucks

{for all music related posts, see .Evolving.Music}

I'm incredibly fed up. No, it's not Bush's pardons that are irking me...as long as he doesn't hand one over to Scooter Libby I'm ok. I'm pretty sick of seeing red and green everywhere, but it's Christmas time, so what can you expect, you just have to deal with it. No, what I'm sick of today is Christmas music. I'm not sure what it is (cough*money*) but every artist out there feels it's not only their right but their absolute duty to remix the holiday classics in order to put out a Christmas album with a 93,000th rendition of "Jingle Bells."

I'm not sure when we decided that the classic "Jingle Bells" wasn't enough, nor for that matter when artists figured out the cash cow that is Christmas music. Every year, a different pop artist attempts to cash in on the act. Over the years, I've seen the travesty of Christmas albums put out by Country artists and vocal crooners. I'm confused as to just how many versions of the same 11 songs these artists think is logically necessary.

Do I sound "bah humbug" here? Don't get me wrong...I'm all for mixing and matching, and certainly in favor of a remix industry that allows artists of various genres to expand the musical universe, but there's a difference between the creative re-working of music and the canned grab for money that the industry orchestrates in the Christmas music album rush every December.

The problem is that none of it is actually very good. I could go into a studio, put down a faux drum beat and carol for the microphone and it would probably come out in the general vicinity of skill displayed by other Christmas albums.

To read the rest of this post and find a savior for Christmas music, click here.

No comments: