Friday, March 13, 2009

10 Things to Think About on a Friday

This week...good, and getting better. Got to check out Watchmen on Monday night, which I thought was a pretty stellar adaptation of the book. Wednesday I finally got a game of bones in for the first time in weeks, and I felt like an alcoholic getting a taste of rum after months of sobriety. I've also been reading a lot of Infinite Jest which has me thinking about substances, abuse and using words like sobriety. Last night, as evidenced, I got out to the Science night in Golden Gate Park which was a blast, and I'm getting prepared for an all day track meet Saturday. No sleep til Watsonville. But for all you folks, here's 10 things you can think about on your way to 5pm today.

1) I think most figured it would happen, but nothing says family values like Sarah Palin's daughter Bristol and her boyfriend breaking up and not getting married after their child was born. She wants to run a country and couldn't even impart her values to her own daughter.

2) I shared with you last week how Kellogg's took a massive hit due to the boycott by dope smokers in the wake of them dropping him for his bong picture. Well, looks like some good came out of it as thousands of boxes of cereal with his picture on them made their way to homeless shelters. Hope they have the munchies.

3) When my step-sister got married, not I nor even her father was allowed in to see the ceremony in the temple. Some Mormon rule. Well, now, thanks to Big Love, I'll know what I missed as they are showing a Mormon service in an upcoming episode. What do you think about a public showing of private religious services? Informative or intrusive?

4) Leave it to Radiohead to stir up dust. Hannah Montana and Kanye wanted to meet them. They weren't really interested. Hannah and Kanye cry like babies. Thom Yorke tells Hannah to grow up. What happens when Kanye starts remixing Radiohead tracks? On the other hand, you're at an awards show with other celebrities. How hard is it to play nice and meet them?

5) Big commotion over Michelle Obama's guns. What do you think? Do you care that she's going around sleeveless, or do you think more power to her for being so cut? Personally, I think the whole thing is a bit silly. We don't have more important things to talk about as a nation?

6) I thought California was liberal. Now we've got reports coming out of Oregon that the state wants to create a government entity to grow and sell marijuana. Ammiano's previously mentioned pitch to legalize the drug and tax it in CA is now also being talked about by Time magazine.

7) Here's a bargain for you...buy a used couch, get a free cat. Inside.

8) How about a funny little rant against Twitter?

9) I've been sitting here wondering how anyone can listen to the completely ridiculous and horrible music of Lady Ga Ga. I mean, not only is the music bad, but you have to sound like a baby when you share your musical tastes with someone. When will pop music be good again like it was in the 80s?!

10) On Monday I'm interviewing Kero One about his upcoming sophomore release, Early Believers. Chilly and jazzed out DIY hip-hop coming straight from the Bay Area. For those of you who don't know, I present "Welcome to the Bay."



Have a good weekend folks, and be good to each other.

No comments: