Friday, March 13, 2009

Blinded By Science

Last night I got to partake in what has quickly become one of the biggest crazes of the San Francisco nightlife...Thursday night parties at the California Academy of Science. For 10 bucks, you go from 6-10 and can enjoy the exhibits, drink to your heart's content and dance to DJs they bring in for the show. I turn my drive up into a two way race between a cookie from the club and a fiery rum and coke. By the time I park in Golden Gate park, everyone is a winner. I meet up with Lean, her girl, T and Xena. Outside, the line is friggin' huge, but it moves pretty well.

Inside, the new space for the museum is excellent. Light, clean, bright and well planned out, the building is kinda centered around the rainforest exhibit. They're charging 6 for cocktails, but I buy a 3 dollar coke and mix it with the flask I've brought in. Unfortunately, while they say that the rainforest closes at 8:30, they actually cut the line for it off at around 7:30, so you need to be there early if you want to see that. But I'm more there for the people watching anyways, which is stellar as it seems that this event brings out a very nice cross section of city demographics, and offers them a space large enough so that no one is in anyone else's way.

The space and exhibits of the aquarium were phenomenal. You don't think that these little box windows of fish would be anything special, but when you think about the amount of money that must go into maintaining each individual habitat, I'm sure it's expensive. The inward bubble domes allowed you to get a feeling of being engulfed by the water, and the tidepool had me feeling like a kid again as I got to play with some starfish. When I see someone looking at me with that "I know you" look, I get freaked out, especially because it's no one I recognize. Turns out it's Christine Jacobs, who hates me. Probably because I've met her about 5 times now and still don't recognize her when she sees me. It's not intentional, or intentionally rude, I just don't think I'm paying much attention.

The DJs were solid last night, playing some great old tracks as well as some bouncy new ones. I think I spent the entire last hour I was there dancing. Then, of course it was on to Nutella/Banana/Coconut and a Cheese/Avocado/Tomato crepe stand run. I am happy to report that crepes to go are still warm when they get back to my apartment. A very good thing to know for the future.

So if you're looking for an excellent way to get some edumacation, have a fun night out, do some fantastic people watching and support a good cause all at the same time, Thursday night at the CA Academy of Science is a spot to take it. Forgot my camera last night, but I'll be going again and will snap some shots then.

No comments: