Friday, June 5, 2009

10 Things to Think About on a Friday

This week was not messing around. Finally into the routine at work, I've figured out how to blog and look like I'm working at the same time. I got back into the movie swing of things, continued to avoid my laundry and got my car fixed. Honestly though, I think I was faded through Tuesday from my Saturday adventures. With a birthday party for a 1-year old (milk keg stands anyone?) and the Union Street Fair this weekend, I wouldn't be surprised if I cruised through Wednesday of next week. But that is then, and this is now, and now is Friday, so before your boss makes you chuck your laptop at them or you go on a ridiculous rampage through the office throwing nerf balls at other employees while yelling, "think fast!" here's ten things you can think about.

1) Lots of speculation this week on whether or not the Bruno/Eminem stunt at the MTV music awards was a collaborative effort or Eminem getting punked. According to Eminem it was the latter. Here's my question...even for a good laugh, would you really want Bruno's ass in your face? I'll have to pass on that one, but I guess it is better than Borat's ass.

2) Sad news yesterday when David Carradine, the star of TV's Kung Fu (Train carefully, young grasshopper) and Kill Bill was found dead in his Thailand hotel room. Of course, it only now has come out that while it initially appeared like it was a suicide, the rope around his neck and genitals might be more an indicator of some asphyxiation play. If that's the case, it's still sad, but at least the man died doing what he loved.

3(00)) Randy Johnson a.k.a. The Big Unit (if you think about the name in combination with the nickname, you wonder how it ever made it past censors) threw for his 300th pitching win yesterday for the Giants. Already a Hall of Fame career, Johnson has a World Series ring and MVP, multiple Cy Young awards and nearly 5,000 strikeouts. Cheers to him.

4) Scary thing that in a world of GPS, radar and constant Facebook updates from anywhere that an entire airplane with 200 people can just disappear with less than a trace. Thoughts go out to the families.

5) I'm sick and tired of Big Brother. Having police around all the time is what it is, but the proliferation of cameras all over everywhere is starting to have me spooked. Now, not only are they bumping revenue and enforcement with red light cameras, they're working to have SPEED cameras installed on freeways. I always thought there was something oxymoronic about speed limits on a road called a FREEway, but do we really need to have cameras everywhere?

6) In a follow up to my comments on the tragic and needless shooting of Oscar Grant at BART in January, news came down this week that the officer who shot him is being charged with 1st Degree murder. I've seen the video, and the horrific and deliberate nature of it certainly says pre-meditation to me.

7) I had no idea that Jay-Z's last album came out on 9/11. But learning of it, I'm not sure how I feel about his plans to release his next album on 9/11. So should we avoid that day in remembrance or am I simply being too sensitive?

8) Megan Fox is in the latest British GQ talking about how guys are "weak. Like puppies." I don't mind that. What I do care about is the fact that she says she'll be the first person in line to buy a pack of joints when marijuana is legalized. We'll see just how weak I am if she gets in my way when it comes time for that. I'll see you in line, Fox.

9) Would you rather be a ferret or a hamster?

10) To finish it off, how about some of my favorite tweets of the day, either because they were hilarious, disturbing, or hilariously disturbing:

a) From @aimee_b_loved: I bet the world's second-greatest dancing xylophonist cries himself to sleep every night.

b) From @LuPacolypse: looking for brittney spears circus inspired menswear. Any suggestions? Link me please. Need purchasable at SF stores.

c) From @DCDebbie: Whenever the hotel elevator says "going down" I get misty
eyed and remember the failings of an exbf

d) From @phyllisstein: I'd like it if whatever demographic these commercials are supposed to appeal to would kill itself.

e) From me: Highlighters+Numbers=boss"I love to pay people who know how to think."Know how much you pay me to tweet? http://twitpic.com/6ok5o

That's it folks, have a great weekend, and remember, don't kill all the spiders...some of them eat the mosquitoes that bite you!

4 comments:

Em said...

found. you.
;-)
BAHHHHH!!!!!
love em

Em said...

p.s. other creatures will evolve to eat the spiders. kill the spiders. please.

Em said...

i mean misquitoes. dang, that was almost good...some other creature will evlove to eat the misquitoes. kill the spiders.

Unknown said...

a hamster. ferrits smell and look creepy.