Wednesday, June 10, 2009

10 Things to Think About on a Friday

Hot diggity, what a week! While I did quite a few fun things this week, one of them stood out to me the most...on Wednesday I got back out and played ultimate frisbee for the first time since trashing my ankle on a trampoline back in December. Felt good to be out again, and I'm looking forward to my SF league starting next week. I also had a bit of a late night with Papa G and Spooky doing a 7 mile run (if you don't know, you better ask somebody!) and found out that there's possible termite infestation in our apartment (more to come on that as the situation develops.) For now though, put everything else out of your mind, and rather than pounding coffee shots at your desk to keep you awake, here's 10 things to think about on a Friday.

1) Good news everyone! Comedy Central has seen the demand, and they're coming with a supply of brand spanking new episodes of Futurama for 2010. Only 990 years to go before we catch up with Fry.

2) Very interesting to me that the son of Joe Money, Nick Montana (no, not Hannah Montana's brother you dolts) would skip a chance to play at USC or his Dad's alma mater, Notre Dame, to go play for a Washington team that went something like 1-11 last season. If you want to be SC's punching bag, Nick, be my guest...

3) On the USC front, they finally announced today the progress being made in the investigations into allegations of impropriety in the athletic department. The potential scandal (no current word from the NCAA or Pac-10 on actual results) has already prompted the resignation of basketball coach Tim Floyd.

4) The Iranian presidential election is underway as we speak and there's hot debate as to whether or not Ahminedjad will be able to hold onto his position in light of the gender issues and questions of morality that have come into play. As a friend of mine pointed out on his GChat status, "Americans were stupid enough to elect Bush twice, I don't imagine the Iranians are much smarter." Of course, let's not forget...Bush was only actually elected once.

5) For once, there's a politician who is unwilling to borrow more money when there's already debt. Of course, I never thought I'd be saying "Good Move" to Arnold "The Governator" Schwarzenegger, but I like the fact that he's forcing a discussion and resolution rather than just mortgaging more of our state's future for high interest loans. Of course, I might feel differently when CA services stop disappearing, but let's fix it right.

6) As anyone who has read 10 things before knows, I love it when fact and fiction mirror each other. Think the drug tunnel in Showtime's Weeds was a bit far-fetched? Think again.

7) Any 49ers fan can tell you we've been waiting for a crazy, no-nonsense, back to the grind football coach for years. Looks like we've found him as it was announced today that apparently Mike Singletary brought rookie Top 10 draft pick Michael Crabtree to the brink of tears in mini-camp. Think that made him cry? Wait til he starts trying to catch passes from one of our quarterbacks!

8) I loved the Golden Girls on tv, and I love Beirut, so why would I not love one of the Golden Girls (Betty White) playing Beirut?!

9) Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails, one of the pioneers of download for free albums and fan interaction through social websites is hanging up his keyboard. Apparently, there's just too much hate out in the world for the original Pretty Hate Machine.

10) Finally, as I did last week (and probably will from now on), here are some of the more amusing tweets I've read recently:

a) The Crazy Temp was crying in the kitchen.Yes, I asked her what was wrong. This thing I did, asking her. VERY VERY BAD. - @dolanite

b) "'Nora is single because she's weird and says funny things. And because I'm seven and almost as tall as her.' --one of my campers." - @Norasha_nya

c) "In the unlikely event that I'm sober or not mauled by a bear this weekend, i will have a good talk with myself." - @LuPacolypse

That's it from this end folks, have a great weekend, and keep in mind...behind every great man, there's a great woman saying, "Don't you have something better to do? Go away."

1 comment:

Unknown said...

yay weeds! oh that reminds me im behind on this current season..