Friday, September 21, 2007

ANTM: A New Season

Wednesday night marked the return of ANTM, otherwise known as America's Next Top Model for its 9th cycle. People have ridiculed me frequently for watching this show. That's ok by me, I'm not the one that watches such hits as Grey's Anatomy, Scrubs and American Idol, you friggin losers.

I watch this show for several reasons...first off, it gives you an interesting look into the grooming and creation of a model. But it also provides my feminism/sociology background with fascinating points of views from watching these girls interact, try to live socially, and compete at the same time. I also take great enjoyment in the artistic work that goes into the photo shoots (admittedly probably my biggest draw to the show).

At any rate, these girls are always good for a sound byte or two...here are some of my favorites from this week's season premiere:

- "When pretty girls have stanky attitudes like that, it irks me." - Bianca. (Yea, tell me about it Bianca, this is a pet peeve of mine too.)

- "I want to be ANTM because I think it would be so much fun and I'd be so good at it." - Mila, 20, Boston (how are you good at being a winner on a show? you can't be good at being ANTM, you can only be good at being a model)

- "I'm not really worried. I think that I have something that no other girl has. I don't know what it is, but there's something. There's something." - Chantal, Austin, TX (Well, whatever she has that no other girl has, it's not the strength of specificity.)

- Also from Chantal: "This is my dream and it's here in my face." (Boom!)

- "I think that I should be ANTM because I have a fire and passion inside me that I'm not going to be a bartender for the rest of my life. I was meant to be ANTM." - Jennifer, 24, Walpole, MA (Good goal Jennifer, but really, is ANTM your only way out of bartending?)

- "I really didn't believe this was going to happen. It was like, 'Oh my God.'" - Heather, 21, Valparaiso, IN (Apparently, Valley Girls can also be from Valparaiso, IN)

And now to hear from the girls of the original 33 that didn't make the cut down to 13:

- "I guess I'll just have to deal with questions for the rest of my life, 'Are you a model?' And I'll just die a little bit inside when I say no." - Sylvia, 23, New Hyde Park, NY (now that's a sad thought. I died a little inside from laughing so hard when she said this)

- "I have to go back home. I have to go back to school, I have to go back to my job, and I don't want to." - Sabrina, 18, Cerritos, CA (wow. welcome to reality Sabrina, where people have to learn and work and eventually not be on a tv show forever. tough brakes kid.)

And finally...

- I wanna get out of where I'm at. I'm trying to get out of my old life. I really want this. This is my only way out." - Marvita, 23, Anchorage, AK. (Nothing funny to say here...Marvita was one of my favorites for her stylish cross between Naima and Eva of cycles past, and her emotional appeal. This girl had been passed around from family member to family member, having endured a childhood of abuse and rape. I really wanted her to get on, and they cut her. Luckily, she was strong enough from the other ordeals of her life that she didn't cry like the other girls. I wanted to throw the remote at the TV when she didn't make it.)

So there you have it...more sound bytes from these lovely ladies to come.

No comments: