Sunday, September 16, 2007

Apples and Oranges








Friday night, I get into some usual trouble, taking FSU to meet ChengJ, JK, Marc and the Marina. After walking around aimlessly for 15 minutes, trying to decide on a bar everyone could agree on, we go into Mauna Loa. Approaching the Marina, FSU was pretty sure the only bar in the Marina she really likes is Mauna Loa. Five minutes inside has her changing her mind, remembering why she doesn’t like the Marina at all. There’s no question I feel back in college, worried that at any minute a drunken fraternity member will run around the side of the bar to give me a titty twister or slap me on the back so hard my drink ends up in my nostrils. We don’t last long there before we make the hop to Hot Pants at the Cat Club.

Once there, we meet up with T, T-ish, Margaret, Lina from the Carol, Za, McButter and a few others. It’s the standard scene, the 80s in the front, hip-hop in the rear and joints in the smoking alley. I’ve now, however, learned the trick of sending other people up to buy my drinks, as I noticed a few trips ago that being a guy tacks on a dollar or two to the cost of my drinks. In the alley, I meet this excellent girl named, now get this…no alias here…Sigh. Sigh! How cool a name is that!? She seems like a chiller, partakes of the tokes with us, and when FSU has to come back to the alley to get me because Sigh and I have started up a conversation and started exchanging phone numbers, she’s more than a little confused. I think she’s just not sure why anyone who’s just met me would want my phone number, let alone actually program it into a phone. But at this point, I’m not exactly coherent, just being friendly, and as confused as she is, and head back inside.

Sterling moment of the night comes when Patrick, the long-haired Asian fellow who owns the building, actually spots and remembers me for once. Now ever since meeting this guy and smoking in his office upstairs, I’ve seen him sporadically in the club. I always make an effort to say hello, he recognizes me and returns it. But this time, he actually approaches me and we start in on a long, hilarious conversation that right now I surely don’t remember any part of. When I get done and turn around, FSU, Za, McButter and T are looking at me with this, “who the fuck was that random dude, and how do you know him?” look. “Oh that guy? He’s the owner, we’re cool.” I love it.

It was a solid Friday night. If you’re looking to go out, have several drinks, dance, enjoy yourself and not worry about being harassed or having other people think you’re harassing them, I strongly suggest the Cat Club over Mauna Loa. But hey, that’s just me. Don't get me wrong, there's a time and a place for everything, and when I love the Marina I love it, but if I have to send my evening somewhere blind, I know where it'll be.

Pictures: McButter and myself, ChengJ/JK/Marc on the trek to Mauna Loa, Za and McButter a bit hilarious, Za and I, the smoking alley, T and Za share some words, me a bit delirious with FSU.

No comments: