Thursday, December 6, 2007

Get a Room, Or Bowl Already!





One thing you have to say for McButter...even if the plans are late, changed ten times and never quite finalized until four hours before, the result is still going to be fantastic. The idea last night was to give Za a bit of a surprise birthday party, so it's McButter, Jacks, T and myself. We met for dinner at Colibri, a Mexican place on Geary by the theatre district. This place is known for two things...a vast selection of tequilas and margaritas (I tried the Margarita Centenario which had Gran Centenario Reposado, described in the menu as "smooth and mellow, select ten year old blue agave plant, aged in new oak." yummy!) and making guacamole fresh for each table. It was phenomenal. The service, however, was not so stellar, but I came for the margaritas, not the service.

We then head to the "next event" as we keep calling it because Za doesn't know what we're doing. On the way there, we almost die as my mind wanders and I hear "go Adam" coming from the backseat. So I start to go and hear "go Adam, go" as I run a red light, through the intersection and on to the other side. Turns out what I was only half paying attention to was actually saying, "Don't go, Adam" even though I wasn't planning on it, the warning turned into an order in my head. Fortunately, no large trucks, unseen cars or police officers are anywhere in sight.

About halfway there, Za knows where we're going, but I don't think it lessens her enthusiasm as we head towards the Presidio bowling center. We meet up with Kat and her roommate there, and upon arriving, we are treated to perhaps the most infuriating set of circumstances I've ever seen...

This bowling place has like 15 lanes. All of which are packed. It's a younger, drinking, carousing type crowd, and for the most part, all is well in the bowling world. But then we are treated to two couples who break all rules of both bowling and public decency. In the middle two lanes of the venue, we have four people that apparently missed it when their parents' talked about being considerate to others. Here we are in a bowling alley where all the lanes are jammed and there's two people each on these two lanes. Are they bowling? Not really. They've come to the bowling alley on this fine evening to make out and look into each other's eyes, and make us wait for a lane while doing it.

On the left, we have couple number 1. Couple number 1 is a clean cut looking couple, a cute girl and a guy with some sort of wrist splint on his non-bowling arm. Problem is, they really came to talk. When she does get up to bowl, about every ten minutes or so, she half-heartedly throws the ball into the lane before sitting back down and waiting another five minutes or so before taking her second roll. Mid-game, she disappears, leaving her broken wrist boyfriend sitting and looking at the lane. Lucky for her, he waits until she returns to take his turn so she can watch him. The final two and a half frames of their game takes close to 40 minutes.

On the right, we have couple number 2. Couple number 2 is a couple that looks like they were absolutely made for each other. I can tell because I got to watch them coo, flirt, kiss, hold hands and hug each other for a good 30 minutes. Bowling? What moron comes to a bowling alley to bowl?! They come in, sit down, put their beers on the table, hold each other's hands and look into each other's eyes. For fifteen minutes. Before rolling their first frame. Jacks points out, "it looks like their sex might only last ten minutes...they need to make the date as long as possible." I, at this point definitely under the influence, start taking pictures with my flash on of the happy couple in an attempt to make them uncomfortable. It doesn't work. They don't notice. It's still twenty minutes before their next roll. At this point, it's lucky we get a lane because T is ready to knock out the girls and castrate the guys. I can't say I'm far behind her...I mean, I wasn't taking pictures because I thought there WOULDN'T be a confrontation...

Finally, we get a lane and squeeze in two games of speed bowling. I manage to follow spares and strikes with gutter balls. It reminds me of Home for the Holiday's "par par bogey bogey par par" line. Sure, the strikes are nice, but they don't really help your score if you follow it up with nothing. I record the 2nd highest score in the first game, and the highest in the second game, but it's little consolation as my team falls to the other team in both rounds...there's no "I" in team and I feel like I let them down. Luckily for all involved, no one gives a shit who won, so we all win! Here's some pictures from the evening, including some of the couple obviously not there to bowl. Up next...I celebrate my Jewish roots with a party at the SFJCC.

No comments: