Monday, February 9, 2009

FriFlakes

So y'all know I have no problem calling out the flakes. And boy, on Friday night, there were flakes a plenty. Up for flake of the evening award we have: E, Sis, ChengJ and Gavroche.

So early in the evening, I had spoken with Sis and invited her to come party with me. I figured I didn't have any plans, but once we pre-partied, we could go out to the city or somewhere in Mateo and still have a good time. I got a text from her saying that she was tired, wasn't going to make it out and was going to go for an early evening after a visit to our Dad's house. Fair enough.

I talk to E and he tells me that he'll be at the I at 10ish. When I ask him what that means, he tells me no later than 11. This works as ChengJ had told me he and Foster were going to go to dinner, do some light drinking and then hit the bars. I figured after a pre-game with E, I would be just in time to meet ChengJ and Foster, and tie that in to meeting up with Gavroche who told me he was going to go out to dinner and then go for drinks in the Marina.

I figure that if E says no later than 11, that means about 10:45, so I plan accordingly. I have a few drinks, watch the end of the Warriors game and go to leave my apartment at around 10:15. I'm getting in the car when Sis calls me, and not only is she not at Dad's house, she's in fact already in the city, faded and out with friends. Say what?! For some reason, when I propose something to my sister, she never likes the idea. Either she's too tired, or doesn't want to do it, or doesn't think it sounds fun. And yet, I will then find her doing the exact same thing or something very similar with other people and having a great time doing it. I'm wondering if a) she just doesn't like kicking it with me that much, b) she's just resistant to my ideas because they come from me or c) she's just more open minded to things when her friends suggest them. Either way, when she told me she was having an early night and then was out in the Marina, I was surprised.

I get to the I and E isn't there. I have a drink, wait til a bit after 11, and decide I'm not going to wait any longer. I take off and head to the Marina. ChengJ tells me that they're just about to play a few games of Beirut at Foster's place and then head out. I search for Gavroche who lets me know that not only is he done with his city plans, he's already on his way out of the city. I call Sis who tells me she's at a bar at Steiner and Union. I get to the Marina, park the car and get to Steiner and Union. Where there's no bar. I call her again and she informs me that she's actually at a bar at Chestnut and Pierce. ChengJ lets me know that that's a block from Foster's and I should combine the two meetings. Good idea.

Only, as I approach the bar where Sis said she was, she and her friends are leaving to go somewhere else. Determined to have not walked over there in vain, I tell her I might meet her later and walk to Foster's. ChengJ, who was supposed to be leaving there already, not only lied about the distance (it's more like 5 blocks than 1), but it's 12:10 at this point and they're still in the middle of Beirut. But, we stick around a bit, play another game and get ready to leave. Heading over to City, Sis is still at KT's and E has called asking where I am. I tell Sis to meet us at City, E I might get there later, and we have some drinks. Great moment of the evening occurs when ChengJ calls a girl walking by us "ma'am" and she almost explodes. About the time they're thinking of bombarding some girls in the bar, I decide it's my cue to leave. Sis still hasn't shown up, so I've given up on her for the evening and I head over to meet up with E. He's contrite about leaving me hanging earlier, so he buys me three rounds. He also does this sometimes because he's a general bad ass, but Friday it happens to be because he feels bad.

So while all of this was ticking me off at the time, I end up having a great Friday...the time at City was enjoyable, E and I had a good time, and I scooted over at the end of the evening to get crepes, which, really, will salvage any night, no matter how bad.

No comments: