Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Good-Bye, 3E
















So it might seem strange to say a public farewell to an apartment, but to me, it seems completely normal. Not just because I blog about things in general, but because of the large role my home played in my life, and, to some extent, the lives of others.

3E was a crazy place. 1400 square feet of downright comfort and mayhem in one. It was not only the first place I lived after graduating college, it was also both the first apartment I paid for on my own, and the first living situation I shared with a girlfriend. For the first year and a half or so, it provided sanctuary, and eventually really cheap rent as the gf and I lived in one room and sublet the second. This practice gave me the phenomenal exposure to such great people as JMill, Irish Genius, and KP. It was also the home to many many HBO nights.

When that relationship ended, the fact that a move wasn't necessary and my home remained the same made things wonderfully easy. HBO nights, movies, and the move-in of both Hessica and Glace kept the apartment a hub of activity. A tradition of major sporting events was also a hallmark of 3E. Turning the apartment into "stadium style" seating was the norm as we enjoyed multiple Super Bowls, a USC/UCLA game or two, the World Cup championship, and many others with festive groups.

In the final months, 3E was the launching pad for a great deal of debauchery for Hessica and I. After setting up a Beirut table in the dining room, it became standard practice both as a pre-party tool, and an occasional weekday stab at fending off boredom.

For the four years I lived there, 3E saw great parties, exciting sporting events, wonderful memories, and an influx of a vast and diverse group of friends and family. All that came there remarked on how large, spacious and comfortable it was, and all that left were invited to return. So for those of you that have a memory of 3E, as it was when we called it home, raise a glass up. But don't be sad. The new apartment is a reincarnation both in style and space, with a better location and no locked front door. So cheers to 3E....it served us well.

No comments: