Sunday, June 17, 2007

...and then I found 20 dollars (Saturday)






I almost don’t make Saturday night. After waking up with the uneasy feeling of cotton mouth combined with a hangover, I stumble and smoke my way to Nini’s with Gavroche. We spend several minutes of our breakfast being flirted with, and many more minutes trying to stave off laughter that comes from being giddy and laughing about the more than sorry crew that the Cage runs with. I also have fun retelling him the story of the previous night, which I presume most of you have already read.

I get home from a grad party around 4:30 and decide I need a two to three hour nap to get my head on straight for the night ahead. I wake up, groggy and in the dark, at 10:15. I have two choices. I roll over, light one up, turn on the tv and relax. I jump up, pour a cold one, turn on music and rally.

I rally.

The two rodka’s before the drive up, in conjunction with a J and one more rodka on the drive turns me into an energetic, ready and crazy machine. I catch cab one over to City to find ChengJ, Marc and Ian. J starts up a conversation, the basis of which has him telling me he knows a girl that I just saw him meet. It’s the two of us standing next to a table of 6 when a drunkard walks over, moves me out of the way and steps in with a “hello, ladies” I give up on that table.

Erin who works there gets off work and we decide to hit another bar. We get there to find that it’s closed. We’re standing on the street trying to figure out what to do when J tells me to be on alert. Huh? He tells me that there’s some guys that might be trying to fight us and I need to be ready.

Now, we’ve been standing in the same spot for five minutes, haven’t talked to anyone and have done nothing other than try to figure out where we’re going. I begin to think that J is crazy and will do anything to find violence. However, I take a glance over his shoulder and see a guy and a petite blond holding this guy back who seems to be trying to get over to us saying, “I’ll fucking kill ‘em.” All of a sudden, J appears much more rational, and I start to fear the drunk man. He’s literally trying to get at us, with the only real thing standing in between us his tiny girlfriend, who I think is only managing to hold him back because he doesn’t want to hit her to get to us. Even in his more than inebriated state, he probably realizes this will hurt his chances to have sex later on.

It’s at this point that we decide to leave. Where to leave to becomes the problem though, as I want to meet Gavroche and Chaz at Anu, and J wants to take Erin back into the Marina. I actually manage to convince J to come along, and we find ourselves at 6th and Mission, deep in the thick of things, and J is obviously not pleased. After calling information, I get the address and we head over to Anu which happens to be a sanctuary of nice bar in the middle of one of the shittiest neighborhoods in the city. The gang’s all there, and right as we order a drink, Chaz says they’re leaving. I convince him to stay for another drink, and we find ourselves heading back to Vic’s, spliff in hand.

On arriving there, Goldilocks and resident Phil are passed out together on the couch. We blaze one more and I ask them for a ride back to X’s, but they’re heading in a different direction altogether. I say my goodbyes, head to an ATM and get 40 bucks for the carbide.

I’m walking down the street, see a cab, give the whistle and get him to stop. I run over, open the door, hop in back and find that my ATM trip was completely worthless……there’s a 20 dollar bill on the back seat. I’ll never end a story with, “and then I found 5 dollars” again.

No comments: