Sunday, June 10, 2007

The Morning After (aka The Failed Birthday Celebration)

Saturday, my main thought is Coach G’s birthday celebration. Last year, he got his crew out to the Mint for what was an amazing time. I can only hope that this year goes as well.

Saturday morning, still drunk, it takes 2 joints before Nini’s to even get my head on straight. Breakfast helps. What doesn’t help is immediately turning around, driving to the city and starting the afternoon with Mickey’s at T and Za’s BBQ. I manage to twist two joints that find their way around the entire back patio twice, and a blunt that’s so intimidating it makes it around the circle four times because people are too afraid to hit it.

It’s the usual suspects, but before we get into that business, I must tell you all….if you get an opportunity to attend a BBQ where T is doing the grilling, don’t you dare pass that shit up. This woman knows how to work a grill, and makes some remarkable meat, all, amazingly, perfectly cooked. How she does this after swilling numerous beers and not being allowed by me to pass the joint without hitting it, I can’t tell you. But it is, in reality, amazing to watch. It's bbq mayhem with T, Za and McButter who leave early for an Erykah Badu concert, Windy, Glasses and her two awesome brothers, Xena, E. and many more.

This starts at 3, and we finally leave the bbq when the ladies split at 10. Roomie and I head over to Damie’s place for pre-partying (a bit late, but hey, why not?) and to wait to hear from G about where he wants to celebrate. It’s about this time that he calls me to tell me that they’re lazy and have decided they’re not going out. I watch as my carefully laid plans slide swiftly down the tubes.

So without a direction due to the birthday celebrant bailing, Amie and Roomie pack it in while D and I proceed to Yancy's to pour down two drinks before the shut the bar. This helps us feel accomplished in a mildly amusing manner, and I feel like I've at least saluted the idea of the evening.

Wait a second. What was that again?

No comments: