Sunday, March 16, 2008

Adding On






One of the factors of my personality that I find most enjoyable, and is surely tiresome if not downright uncomfortable for others in long duration periods with me, is my constant desire to do more. When I look at a particularly busy day or week, rather than looking for ways to simplify, I look for opportunities to squeeze a few more things in. With each new activity, the question automatically becomes, "what else can I add on?" With that in mind, I introduce you to my weekend...

1:30 PM, Friday: I get off work and head to school to pick up the F/S team I coach and take them to CastroValley for an invitational. When we arrive, it begins to rain, and does so sporadically throughout the entirety of the meet. We've got about 17 13-15 year olds for the duration, and the meet, which begins at 4pm, somehow doesn't end until 11. Of course, the team doesn't want to just go home, they want to go out to eat. By the time we return to school to drop them off, it's 12 am.

12 AM, Saturday: At this point, any rational human being, having just spent 10.5 hours with a bunch of high schoolers, and looking at the weekend I was looking at, would pack it in and go to bed. I decide that going up to the city to hang out with Glass is a better way to spend my time.

1:40 AM, Saturday: After hanging out for a while, I start on my way home, ready for bed. Of course, in my car, on my way back, E calls me and wants me to stop at the I. At this point, I've already gone out when I shouldn't have, and am in the city anyways, so the "it's on my way home, and it's just one more thing," mentality kicks in and I meet up with him in the same old place. Now I was just going to have a relaxed evening in, some tv, whatever. Picture me now, in my house slippers, a pair of sweats, a hoodie and a baseball cap in the club 5 minutes before last call. I haven't been in one where they've turned the lights on, but that's what happens here and I'm back in the car and on my way home around 2:15.

3 AM, Saturday: By the time I've gotten into bed, I've been up for 20 hours. 3 hours and 15 minutes of sleep should do, right?

6:15 AM, Saturday: I'm up and in the shower after what feels like a cat nap. I've gotta be packed, dressed and ready to take the other half of the team, the Varsity athletes, back out to CastroValley for the Varsity portion of the meet. We meet at 6:45, getting out to the meet around 8 am.

3pm, Saturday: 12 hours after laying down in bed, we've finished the meet. Again, the athletes want to eat on the way home, so when we drop them off around 4:30, we've been with them a little over 9 hours.

4:30 pm, Saturday: After dropping the athletes back at school, I'm in my car and on my way to HMB to drop off some RE related documents that needed to be there before Monday. It's a small bit of work and a quick turnaround, but still requires driving, and still takes time off the front end of the nap I've been thinking about since 6 am.

6 pm, Saturday: I get home and get in bed, for three hours of sleep.

9 pm, Saturday: I get up, shower, dress, pre-party and head up to the city, where I meet up with Za, McButter, T, Ish, and others for Ish's serial killer themed house party. And spend the evening getting freaked out by Dahmer, Gacy, some creepy guy in a mask. The serial killer costumes are creepy enough, but the drinking Jenga that ensues is also on the creepy side with such dares as blowing a raspberry on someone's stomach (raspberries being one of the grossest things I can think of) and slow dancing with a broom. Lucky for all involved, they happen to have a broom handy.

After a bit, it's time to hit the crepe stand. As we get there, I order a nutella/strawberry/lemon and a nutella/banana/coconut, Za orders a savory. I only order two because McButter and Za can't decide what type they're going to have, so I get two that I know will be good and intend to share them. It's only once they arrive that I'm told that these two are on a "no sweets" bend right now, and won't break it for the crepe stand. They laugh at me as I sit there and demolish both crepes by myself. I start to wonder just how fat I'll end up if I eat two crepes everytime I'm out drunk.

After dropping them off, I return home, but, amped with all the energy circulating from the past day and a half (I don't use energy, I make more), I can't get to sleep until 5, even trying such tried and true artforms as the j coupled with bad TV.

5 am, Sunday: I finally get to bed and get 5.5 hours of sleep.

10:30 am, Sunday: I wake up and get ready for my open house.

1:30 pm, Sunday: I sit in my open house taking time to enjoy the sun, pace the room and try to ignore the desert that is steadily forming in my mouth. I pray for 4.

After the open house, I head home, eat a Bonne Sante, watch a movie and a few tv shows and entertain Gavroche and Jarles (though not at the same time)...when everyone leaves, I watch some tv until 1 am.

By the time I get to bed at 1 am on Sunday morning, the final weekend tally looks something like this:
Starting when I woke up at 7 am on Friday, and going to when I woke up at 7 am this morning, the total weekend was 72 hours. Of those 72 hours, I've gotten about 17.5 hours of sleep, and was either coaching, working, or drinking for the other 54.5, which means that I was active for approximately 76% of the weekend. I think that qualifies as making the most of it, and certainly proves Chaz's age old adage, "you can sleep when you're dead."

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Sleep when your dead is a great adage!