Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Say Uncle


It's official...my sister, Emmy Jo Bioloski, gave birth last night to what I can only imagine will be her first of many children. Arriving at about 7:30 PST, Brennan/Ryan/Gibson weighed in at 9 lbs., 4 oz. That's a big kid. In the years to come, this innocent child will be brought up the Mormon way, although how long that lasts after I get a chance to meet him is up for debate. I'll finally have my place in the sun as the black sheep Uncle that everyone warns the kids about.

While I drink lemon drops at family gatherings, he'll ask me why my words come out funny, and when I give him his first Ayn Rand book for Christmas, I'll have to explain to him how reading it isn't a sin. As he grows older, he will either come to admire me and wish to emulate my heathen ways (which will undoubtedly turn my sister against me), or he will come to despise my sin with a passion reserved for the staunchest clerics (which will no doubt make me laugh.) Either way, Uncle A will be a conundrum wrapped in a riddle and fed to him as an enigma.

My sister (shown here the weekend she announced she was pregnant with her husband) is living her dream, and is now a mother. Congratulations to you Em! Not only have you enriched the lives of those around you, but you've successfully brought one more human into this severely overcrowded world! Mazel Tov!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You're so bittersweet.