Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Getting Real

I've got a few thorns in my side this morning, which is odd because I don't remember laying down in a rose garden last night. Then again, I was coming off three hours at the Skylark, so who knows where I really slept. But where I slept or didn't isn't really my point...I'm tired today of people around this country trying to fool themselves...fool themselves into thinking that extra Twinkie isn't going to make them fatter...fool themselves into thinking that the war is still a good idea...those people that say, "He's the worst President we've ever had, but I'd vote for Bush again." (I promise, I've heard people say that) We need to hang up our inhibitions, break out some honesty, and get drunk on the idea of getting real...Here are a few winners and losers in my book today...

- I'm a bit fed up with people that want to keep treating sex like some taboo or sacred sacrificial lamb. There's a bit too many puritans in this country who think that pre-marital sex, homosexual sex, purchased sex and any other type of sex falling outside the "norm" of married heterosexual sex is wrong in some way. People, wake up, it's 2008. If you don't want to have sex, or a certain type of sex, don't...no one is going to force you...but stop trying to enforce those opinions and beliefs on others. I urge these people to check out just how much healthier they would be if they had some sex in their life. I also would encourage them to get in touch with just how in tune with nature our bodies are, and how ridiculous the idea of taming them is...

- Not surprisingly, there are just as many people out there that want to tell other people what they can put in their bodies as there are those that want to tell others what they can do with them. Our government protects tobacco and alcohol, yet draws the line at pot and other substances it can't control as easily. I'm sick and tired of this. If someone wants to kill themselves shooting heroin into their veins until they lose any desire to do anything else, I think that's a very sad thing, and I wouldn't do it, but I'm not so judgmental as to think I should be able to tell that person not to or in some other way control them.

Luckily for us, there's a few politicians coming around who think that honesty is the best policy. Let me introduce you to Congressman Barney Frank, who this week proposed a bill to decriminalize marijuana, and new New York Governor David Paterson (taking over for recently ousted Spitzer on the heels of his affair with Kristen, which, by the way, I think the brew-ha-ha over further brings to light the stupidity of people's views on my last point) who has no problem admitting that he did both pot and cocaine. What's that? An honest politician? Are there any more where he came from?

- I'm out of time for ranting, but I'll close on our current Executive branch. When Bush flew onto an aircraft carrier and announced in 2003 that the mission was accomplished, it was not only probably the first time he had been in a fighter jet since bailing on his National Guard service, but it also marked one more in the long and sordid series of Bush saying things that aren't true, and being allowed to get away with it. Let's get real, Democrats and Republicans...In 1999, you actually spent time and money seeking to impeach Clinton for an extra-marital affair. Yet not once in the past 8 years have I heard any serious push for impeachment of Bush for exaggerating intelligence leading us into the war, lying about the war being over, authorizing illegal wiretaps, and other examples of general douchebaggery. I mean, shouldn't we be appalled at this point?

That's it for me today. Be good to each other.

No comments: